Sunday, June 10, 2012

Onion Man Triathlon

I want to start by saying that I LOVE this race. For a couple of reasons. 1) It's in a gorgeous location. (See pictures and videos. 2) The race atmosphere is awesome and the competition is stiff. 3) It's on Memorial Day weekend and doubles as a great mini-vacation!!

This year, Marian and I had a third traveler with us. *grin* This little one only added 16 pounds to the journey, but the accessories that came with her accumulated to over 50 extra pounds and several cubic feet. This would all have been simple, had we been driving in the good ol' explorer. But this time we were going compact style in our Scion XA..... 

We fit more than is probably sane in this thing...

So after a meticulous packing job, 5 hours of driving, interrupted by about 2 hours of necessary delays to change diapers, burn off energy, nurse, and fill up gas, we arrived in Walla Walla. We spent the first evening getting settled in our hotel.... and yes... we needed it. Enough said.

The next day was tourist day/get-down-and-try-the-water-cause-I-have-had-no-time-to-practice-open-water-swimming day. We got up and timed getting to the lake with one of Rianna's naps - so she stayed in the car seat. I gave the water a shot, and it was wonderful!! Most people wouldn't call 61 degree water "wonderful", but when you compare it to last year when it was barely above 50, I thought 61 was a vast improvement!



My Girls!!



We wrapped up the evening with a lot of good food and an early (as we could make it with a 6 mo old in a strange place) bed time. Naturally I spent about an hour an a half of the night staring at the ceiling wide awake, but now I just know that's part of the game.

I sprung out of bed ready to go!! I ate my pre-race food, which consisted of a Hammer Recovery Bar (Holy Guacamole!!! Those things have a TON of calories/protein in them!!!) and granola with homemade almond milk. Then up to a half-hour before the race, I drank a full bottle filled with fuel.



I'll save you all the jibber jabber about getting down to the race site... But just understand that I have best support crew in the world. How many wives drag themselves out of bed before 5 in the morning so they're husband can go jump in a freezing cold lake with a bunch of other dorky athletes?!!?


"I'll come out when it's warmer out there than it is in here...."


After I was all set up in transition, Marian handed me some hot water from the thermos and instructed me to drink, and then go down to the lake and warm up for a LONNNNNNNNNNG time. That was brilliant. The times when I've struggled most in the swim has been when I've started with very little warmup.

I swam around, making sure I stayed close to the start. I saw all of the other athletes walking down and dipping in the water... but I felt READY. I wanted to RACE! Winters are a long time to wait!!

They lined us up and said "get ready". We don't start floating in the water like some other races; rather we're standing in waist-deep water. Therefore, there's a bit more of an honest start rather than everyone inching forward slowly....

[See the video below for a glimpse of the start]

They blew the horn and off we went!! My plan was to line up towards the left side - and then sprint at the start to try and get a gap. My plan worked! I shot off and led a small point just to the right of the main point. I looked over to the left and saw the leaders were moving a little faster towards the first buoy. But I had a slightly shorter distance to go.... Awesome! I was going to meet them in the middle.

Sure enough! Just before turning around the first buoy, I joined the leaders and settled in with some folks. I hadn't been bumped or smacked much. I had a lot of confidance, and was sure that I could claim my real-estate in the water if I needed to... so maybe I was the one doing the bumping and smacking.

We churned our way through the remainder of the first lap. I don't remember much except I just kept telling myself to keep my head down and get a long hard pull with every stroke. We started the second lap and I looked up to see a mass of pink swimcaps....

The women had just started their wave and we were now going through them on the second lap.... Awesome. I weaved and stroked and pulled and-....OOPS! Swam over one of them! (SORRY!!)

As we went around the final turn buoy, we made it through the majority of the women, and a pack of 6 or so of us men peeled off and headed for the swim finish... We made great time and took the most direct route.

As we hit the ramp, I stood up with three other guys. I saw an opening, and sprinted past them up the ramp! I got my wetsuit over my shoulders and off my arms just as I reached my bike. I got the suit over my heels probably the fastest I've ever done it! I did - however - have issues getting my socks on (I kept tipping over). So after 2 tries, I just sat down to put them on.

I grabbed my bike and shot out of transition. On the way out, I caught a glimpse of Marian over to the right and she shouted, "You're in ninth!!" I gave her a "Woo Hoo!" and a fist pump! I was ready for this! Feet strapped in shoes, and off I went!!

This bike course is probably one of the most gorgeous scenic rides I've ever done. Absolutely stunning. (See the video at the end). I was anything but bored as I surveyed the course, took in fuel, and peddled with everything I had. I kept my speed at 20mph. I didn't want to overdo it...

As usual, people started passing me. Grrrrrrrrrrr. I had hoped I'd build a little more strength over the winter months... But hey... my cycling legs are still only a year and a half old.... I'll keep working at it!

We cranked on the windy road, and I tried to keep a good pace. When I hit the turnaround, I realized that I'd been riding into the wind the whole time and on the way back I was averaging 30 mph... oh. With 6 miles still to go, our direction shifted and we then had some stiff cross-winds to contend with. (It's on my bucket list to get aero-wheels and tri-bike soon... but money doesn't grow on trees.) I was getting passed by a lot of guys now....

I neared transition and the last few uphills. I worked my way up them, slipped my feet out of my shoes and prepared for transition. I hit the ground and sprinted to my spot. I was in and out. I consistently have one of the best, if not the the best T2 time. I just need to work on my bike time...



Out on the run course, I knew this is where I was going to make up some time. I got to work and started picking people off. I started the run in 39th... I wanted to be in the top 30.

My first mile was quick. Not sure how quick. But it felt quick. I settled into a stride after that, and focused on the people in front of me. I ran hard and grabbed some water at the aid station. I pulled a Hammer gel out of my pocket and sipped on it a little. I had passed 12 people and was definitely in the top 30... and I was feeling strong!

I hit the turnaround in about 19 minutes. Yessssssss... But then something changed... My hamstrings started to feel pretty crampy... I didn't have the same pop as when I started... Uh ohhhh..... what's wrong?? I decided that I needed fuel. I reached for the gel and took down the rest of it in one gulp.

AUGH! A minute later I was really hurting! My pace had slowed to probably almost 8 min/mile. I was in trouble... I heard someone behind me - two guys actually. I had passed them earlier and now they were passing me. Grrrrrrrrr. I mustered up strength from somewhere - and pulled up alongside them. One of the guys said, "Good work..." and I heaved something that sounded like "Haim gunn-a tah tu ssay hif-oo". (Translated: "I'm going to try to stay with you...").

My one complaint about this race is the website says that the course is moderate with few hills. What they really mean is, "In the last mile, there are some annoying hills that aren't that steep, but they're steep enough to spike your heart-rate cause you're already about to DIE from working so hard up till now...." But I've done this race before, so I knew what was coming. The gel was kicking in finally, and I was feeling less "horrible". Yep... I had underfueled on the bike. I'll need to work on that.

For each hill, I would walk, let the two guys get ahead, and then I'd start running again and catch up to them.... And then repeat. I could hear the music at the finish line. Apparently they could too, cause we started to pick it up. We hit the last 400m and one of them pulled ahead. I tried to go with him, but couldn't hold on. I stayed ahead of the other one to the finish line, and finished in 28th...



Annnnnnd I was SO HUNGRY!! I gobbled down two bananas and bunch of pretzels and bunch of orange juice within like....2 minutes! Then Marian came up behind me with the camera. Oh boy... I look horrible after races. She later told me I look like that after every race. I promised myself that I would forever put on a better face at the end of races.... (You can watch the video... It's embarrassing... but Marian told me I had to post it. So here it is.... enjoy.)



This was a GREAT event again!! I have the best race crew ever!! I'm so thankful for Marian's support, and it was so great to have Rianna there as well! Woo hoo!!



It turned out that the swim course was a little short by accident. I was a little bummed that I didn't get a true time (It sure would be nice for me to say that I got a illegitimate 2:16 olympic...). But I can probably say that I would have gotten a PR at the Olympic distance even it the swim had been correct - which is great for the first race of the season! And a third place in my age group doesn't hurt at all!!




So we celebrated with the post-race chicken dinner and then later went and got some pizza!! (Gasp). Yeah... it was awesome, cause I haven't had a real pizza in like... forever.


YUMMMMMMM!

In other news, the military has decided that they need me elsewhere for the rest of the year, so the rest of my season has been derailed. I have canceled all of my other events with the exception of the Mountain Home AFB triathlon. I'll be training hard while I'm gone and I'll come back with a vengence next year! I'll be sure to post a race report for the MHAFB Tri. Check back after the 6th of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and encouragement! Gimme some!