Friday, August 19, 2011

Emmett's Most Excellent Triathlon - A grand finale!





"Emmett's Most Excellent Triathlon"


I chuckled at the name. At first I thought it was a desperate marketing attempting somewhat akin to "Joe's Most Honest Used Car Dealership" where you get ripped off more than you thought possible.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

4am wakeup calls come earlier and earlier these days. I hadn't slept terribly well - what with pre-race nerves and all. I had just finished a pretty hard work-week and done my best to also have a good taper week while also making sure I didn't neglect my exhausted 6-month-pregnant wife/coach. My 6-month-pregnant wife/coach also was trying not to neglect me, and my attempts to make this the best race of the season; and so had accordingly spent many hours preparing me excellent, nutritional food, pouring over my training schedule for the previous few weeks, and also maintaining her on-the-side youngster gymnastics lessons at the youth center on-base. Needless to say, we were both pretty pooped when the alarm clock went off.

BUT we were very excited to be here! This was a pretty deep field. A National Championship Qualifier and the Idaho State Championships = Lots of talent. I knew what I was up against, but I'd been working my swimming and my open-water confidence. I was ready; and I knew it.

****5 hours later****

Pre-Race Setup/Hang-around-till-we-start-time
"3.....2.....1....GOOOOO!!" We were off!!



There was the usual jostling at the beginning. I got bonked a few times. Some dude in a blue-seventy suit swam over me and shoved me down; I passed him about 15 seconds later... But we spread ourselves out pretty quickly so that was soon over. The swim was an out and back, so it was a relatively long "out". Eventually a lead pack developed and got away; and I was at the front of the chase pack with a clump of 4. I'd done a nice long warmup and so I was already very comfortable. I decided my chase pack was going too slow, so I chose to venture out ahead! I then decided my next goal was to catch the lead group... heh heh. 

I saw the leaders sneaking around the turnaround buoys, and I gave a strong chase. There was a straggler that had been shaken off, and I caught him and passed. Then there was another straggler. Then another.... Then another... And then.... we were passing the last buoy and headed towards the shore. I swam till my hands hit the ground and then stood up and ran out! 


Me coming out of the water - super stoaked!! - in 9th place

There was a nice long path to transition and I spotted Marian on the left. I knew I'd had a good swim but wasn't sure exactly what place I was in. "Where am I at?!" I yelled to Marian. She replied back, "You're 9th out of the water!" Woah.... 9th??? 

I fumbled a bit in transition... probably because I was flabbergasted for being in 9th at the State Championships... but eventually got on my bike and started flying down the road. I laughed to myself because I was the only dude in the front group with no TT Bike, much less no aero-bars on my road bike. But hey! I'm a new triathlete on a budget! What can I say?!


Fumbling in transition...

The guys in the front were - sufficed to say - VERY strong cyclists. I was NOT. They promptly left me behind with their 25mph pace and I was left to lollygag along with my 20 mph pace. Whatever. I'm new. They're not. I'll be there someday. Harumph. Just WATCH me race slower than you! Ha!


This is me NOT cornering at 25 mph


About 10 miles into the bike, one of the ladies in Air Force Tri Team apparel zipped passed me.... Turned out it was Jolene Wilkinson. One of the most solid members of the women's team. The female wave started about 5 minutes after the male wave, so I was thinking, "Great! I'm still getting outswum by the girls!" But it turns out I still had her by a few seconds in the swimming department - which meant, she was now OWNING me in the biking department. Ug...... next season. Next season.

I hit the final turnaround and tried to go quickly on my way to T2.... but I didn't feel like I had any more "oomph!" Regardless, I worked hard for the remainder of the bike, and somehow turned in my best bike time of the season! At 1:13! Finally I was solidly over the 20mph mark. I'm going to try and make it 22.5mph next year!

I got off the bike at the downtown transition - worried that Marian had not been able to catch the bus back. I later heard the awful story about that, but yes she was there, standing by the fence outside transition cheering for me. I was in and out. And once again had the fasted T2 transition of all the men at 25 seconds! (It turned out that Jolene Wilkinson had a 24 second transition..... humph).


"Huff...Huff......er.... Hoff....."

I took off on the run and it was just.... well.... a run. It was two loops. I took my time around the first loop, and then kicked myself for it at the end. I think I did a 23 minute 5k on the first loop and then negative split myself for with a 21 minute 5k on the second. (I have hopes of running sub-40minutes by next season.)

But then I finished with a personal best!!! 2:23 and change! For a third-place finish in my age-group a 22 place finish overall at the Idaho State Championships! Not quite good enough for a National's qualification; but hey, I've got time! 


Finish!

After the race was over, we staying around and visited with some very nice folks... and waited.....and waited.............and waited.................................................. for the awards ceremony. The race was indeed "excellent". But the post-race logistics need a little work. Fortunately there was food; otherwise I would have died... But poor pregnant Marian. She was suffering in a way I can't understand.

Tired.... and stoaked!
This was a great end to the season! I've had an awesome time taking my first swipe at triathlon; and some pretty decent results too! 

I need to make sure thank some people:

First God, the Lord of my life for saying "yes" to me taking this step in life and blessing me with so many things along the way.

Next, Marian, my uber-supportive wife and coach. For all the countless hours you've helped me plan workouts, tweak form, plan nutrition, fueling, and EVERYthing else!

The rest of my family for all the support you've given me. The cards, cheers, magazines, and extra gel packets have all been a huge help!

1 comment:

  1. Great job Ryan! Thanks for all the updates, and from a "newbie's" perspective, you're doing absolutely incredible. The next time you make it back to Az., bring your bike, and we'll plan a ride. Congrats again to you and your Coach. Bill

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and encouragement! Gimme some!