Saturday, July 7, 2012

Mountain Home AFB Triathlon - 1st!!

Here's a video of the race!!



I had a lot of fun today! I love it when I can sleep in, get up and eat at my leisure, help Marian and Rianna, and then roll out the door and ride to the race. So nice!

I arrived somewhat late, and had to grab a transition spot in the middle of everyone else's stuff (the one downside to taking your time in the morning). I saw some familiar faces, and chatted a little before getting signed in. I was to be in the third heat. Once I was set up, it was just a matter of waiting for the pre-race meeting and the start.

The swim was good. I didn't go too hard at the beginning, because I wasn't able to get a warmup; but I settled into a good pace quickly (which is good because it was only a 400m swim). I hopped out of the pool in about 5:40, which is a little faster than I was planning on swimming.

I didn't go super fast in transition... Struggled a little bit with one of my shoes on the bike, but got out on the bike without major event. Since I'd been in the third heat, there were already lots of other bikers out on the two-loop course, so I had lots of company. I got to work right away. Going into the wind, I sustained a 21mph pace, and going away from the wind I was going 25mph. With the crosswinds, I was doing about 23-24ish. I wrapped up the bike in 30 minutes flat, which I was very happy with!

I transitioned a little quicker this time, and took off on the run. Last year when I did this, I hadn't fueled properly on the bike, and I also was still heel-striking, so I was curious to see how fast I was able to do the same run course this year. I suffered a little bit on the first half of the run, but was strong all the way through, and finished in a time of about 17:50ish...
It all came down for a total time of 55:23, which is 3 minutes faster than last year! WOOT!! As I said before, since the military has decided to derail the rest of my racing season, I wasn't training super hard the last few weeks. So I'm very pleased with my fitness, if I can pull out a 3 minute improvement still.

That being said, it's going to be a while before I post a triathlon race report. I hope to still update every now and then with training progress. God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and encouragement! Gimme some!