Saturday, April 6, 2013

St Patrick's Day 5k - 3rd Place

The morning of the 22nd was horrible. Winds were in the range 25-30mph; and it was COLD. The race organizers decided that it was best to postpone the race by a week. I wondered if as many people would show up, but some decent prizes and raffles were up for grabs... so it hopefully enticed some people to still show up.

And they did!


I showed up that morning having already done some studying for my PE exam (which I'm taking on the 12th of April... pray for me) and done an easy bike session. I showed up somewhat late, and almost everyone was registered and checked in... oops. Turns out they had run out of pins for the numbers, so I was to race numberless... double oops.

I did some warm-up jogging with some short bursts of speed mixed in. I felt good, and ready to race.... mentally. Physically, I wasn't so sure. I've just started training again recently after a substantial break. I'd been training for about 3 weeks... but was unsure where my fitness was at for a 5k. But I was about to find out!



I stood outside and found my way to the front of the starting line... I didn't know who would be there. I recognized a couple individuals, but there were a few I didn't know...

And then we were off!




No one took off super fast for the few 100 meters or so... I started to think, Oh yeah... I've got this. No problem.

But then a few guys started making a push. A race!! Alright! ... I wouldn't be thinking those words a few minutes later.

The leader pulled up the front, and I was happy to let them push the pace. I didn't really know what I was capable of. I wasn't super uncomfortable at first and figured we were running right around 6 minute miles. 

After about three quarters of a mile, the guy in front surged a bit... ug. We stayed with him. My heart rate started to thud through my chest. Not a good sign. I don't run with a heart rate monitor, but I can tell when I've gone above lactate threshold... and this was one of those times. I stuck with them anyways.

The turnaround was just over the crest of a hill... we started up the hill, and I really started to feel it. Man, these guys were cutting me any breaks!

We hit the turn around in 8:40 - right around 5:52 pace -  and I was in third... I could see that the leader was going to try and break away as we went over the crest of the hill again. I knew we couldn't let him get away. So I charged past the guy in second, and worked like a dog to bridge up to the leader.

1 minute went by....  I still hadn't caught him. I looked back and saw that the guy in third was about 10 seconds back. We had dropped him. I looked forward, surged again... and painfully worked my way up him.... All I could think was the word, "owwwwwwwww". But now I was on his shoulder, and was about to make a move for the lead!

...and then, I blew up...

I felt exhaustion wash over my whole body, and suddenly I couldn't run anymore. The leader started to pull away, and I couldn't respond. Nothing there... then the guy behind me caught up and passed for second. I couldn't respond to that either....

I kept going. As fast as I could muster. A couple minutes later, I felt some energy come back. I increased, and saw that I was making up some ground on the guy in second. But then a second wave of exhaustion hit.... I was done. I did my best to survive to the finish, and crossed the finish line in 17:55.



Marian and Rianna came out to see me... unfortunately since it was an earlier morning start, they weren't able to make it to the finish line to see us finish. But it was so nice to see them right after I was done, and talk about the results... coach was a little floored that I pulled that result out. But then she knowingly smiled at me and said, "See? You need people to push you to discover your potential. You don't push yourself as hard by yourself...?" Yep. She's right.

So did I win? No. Am I pleased with the result? You BET!! I'm stoked and I want to see what this summer will bring. I was ten seconds off my PR for a 5k, and I'm NOT in peak running fitness at ALL. Not even close! Stay tuned for more as the season continues!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and encouragement! Gimme some!